repressed normality

8.24.2006

on family businesses

how do you go about telling your parents you have no intention of continuing in the family business? i've been working here since i graduated, which adds up to about 2 years. in that 2 years' time, i've done little but check over paperwork, production, and sales reports. also there's the coordinating with our programmer to implement the new database/sales/inventory system. during that 2 years i have been sustained by the hope that eventually i'd have enough guts and self-esteem to go about 'seriously' searching for a job outside my comfort zone. problem is, my parents have no inkling of this desire of mine to go explore my possibilities, and now my mom is pushing me towards the sales department, meaning i'd have to actually 'talk' to people and interact with them, putting my name on the line of the business. people who know me know that i'm more a background kinda guy, not the person they'd trust to be in the limelight, and i've never wanted to be in the limelight. of course, it doesn't help that our office is full of people more than 10 years my senior at the very least.

business means sales, in most every aspect, and my 'fear' or discomfort at would not bode well with my professional life.

and i still don't know what i want to do. which would make it even more difficult for me when it comes time to explain what i would rather be doing than staying in the family business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home